I am currently looking for an apartment in Rome, which is a fairly daunting task. Prices in the city center are ridiculous. You have to shell out €400/mo. to live in what seems to have been an ancient prison cell with a roommate! No, you don't split the €400. It's €400 for each person. Luckily they aren't ALL that high, but there are other outrageous fees.
A three bedroom apartment costs anywhere from €1400 for a shady shack to €2200 for a nice apartment with parquet flooring. There are no living rooms in these places, mind you. That's the cost for three bedrooms and a small kitchen, full stop. Living rooms are extra. On top of this, you're required to pay two months rent as deposit, with an additional extra month's rent going to the real estate agent that listed the advertisement in the local free-weekly. All in, that's €8,000 to get into a €2000 apartment for the first month. Makes you want to get into real-estate, doesn't it?
So the other day I'm negotiating with this woman over the price, and she describes the WC as being a full bathroom, complete with a bidet. I realized at this point that I will probably never know what the heck a bidet is really for. Should I be excited about a bidet?
See, I don't really know if I WANT to know what a bidet is for. I mean, I have some ideas, but I can't say I really want to ask anyone about it. I certainly don't want anyone to demonstrate how it's used. I wouldn't really categorize myself as a shy person (unless I'm hungry, in which case I may just be irritable and choose not to talk as opposed to ripping your head off), but this is one thing I can't seem to bring myself to ask another adult about.
But you know what? I've gone 27 years without having to use a bidet, and I think I'll be pretty content finishing this one out without violating my comfort zone. What should I tell this lady to do with her bidet?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Come on Michael, don't you remember my bidet demonstration in the Breck mansion? Honestly, since then I feel like I'm roughing it every time I go to the bathroom.
Possibly akin to the Washlet: www.washlet.com
I was at an open-mic/amateur comedy night and this guy basically gave a sales pitch for one of these. I'll spare you the punch lines but it was lamely vulgar.
Jared
Whistling clean and no more skid marks! No need for TP ever again! Think of it as a baptism for your heiney. You will feel re-born!
Post a Comment