The thing is, Italian food is absolutely fantastic, but it's almost exactly the same in every restaurant in Rome. I have two places where I love to eat pizza, and every other pizzeria sells exactly the same pizza with exactly the same flavors. They don't have Pizza Hut coming out with a ridiculous crust stuffed with gruyere half the size of Manhattan every month, so you have to be content with eating the same thing. I'll just say it. You'll eat the best food in the world here, but you'll lose the variety. And I want something different to eat.
That's where the Chinese restaurant comes in. Like in the United States, they all have ridiculously cheesy decor. Like in the United States, you have no idea what the heck the waiter is asking you. Like in the United States, you leave having thoroughly enjoyed what you know will probably give you either a heart attack or cancer. It's fabulous! It makes you feel like you're home!
The only real difference is that stir-fried noodles now become "sauteed spaghetti" and pot stickers become "steamed ravioli". But they can call it whatever they want. It's the same dang thing!
I am sad to report that I've learned absolutely nothing new of the emergency services since I first made the post way back when. They just don't do enough of anything to distinguish any differences, one from another. I'm not giving up completely, but I have lost a little hope.
In other news, I think you all know that it's been a bit of a bureaucratic nightmare getting any paperwork processed here. I'm proud to report that there is a glitter of hope in that I met a guy who knows a guy, and that guy put in a phonecall to the other guy today. After he hung up the phone he gave me a confident "fatto," meaning "done." In other words, he seems to have managed to do in 30 seconds what I have been unable to do in ten months. Glad I spent close to 100K on "what I know" instead of "who I know"...
My dad made the comment that even living next to the Spanish Steps probably sucks if you don't have any money, but I doubt it. Something about Rome always draws a sense of awe, even to the street peddler. On that note, I'll leave you with one of the weekend images from Sperlonga that still sticks in my mind...

1 comment:
Awesome picture. How would you be able to get to this site and take this georgous picture if you have no money! It's not the only thing, but when you don't have any, it's a little hard to really appreciate what comes in 2nd, or 3rd or whatever; because you have your thumb out hoping and praying that someone will give you a ride to someplace where you can beg for a crust of bread!
Love you tremendously
Post a Comment