Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Döner kebab


What´s the best way to describe this stuff?

It´s LIKE a gyro, only it´s a thousand times better, in my opinion. I guess falafel is sometimes served the same way, so maybe that will help with your mental picture. It´s Turkish, but the Germans love it. You can find it on every corner in Germany.

Basically they have these long skewers of seasoned meat, like gyro meat, that rotates on a vertical spit next to the cooker (making some of the edges crispy... mmm). Most places have beef, but you can find lamb and chicken as well. (The chicken is GREAT, but it´s a mess.) When you order, they shave the meat down and put it into this special pita bread with a special sauce of your choice, usually a kind of garlic ranch, spicy ranch...ish, or yogurt (sour cream).

The bread varies, but it´s usually really soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside (this is one of the best parts that distinguish it from a gyro). After they put the meat in, they stuff it with lettuce and add more sauce. You can top it off with a cucumber/tomato mix, red cabbage, onions, and cheese if you like.

This is the first thing Christy introduced me to when I first arrived in Germany last year, and I had no idea how much I would love this stuff. Some of the English I´ve met here think it´s absolutely disgusting, but I love it. For all practical purposes, it IS a gyro, but it has so much more flavor than any gyro I´ve ever had.

So there you have it. More than you ever wanted to know about döner kebab.

You can read even MORE here, although the pictures make it look disgusting: Döner on Wikipedia

No comments: