Rome grows on me a little more every day. The Colosseum is a short jaunt from my apartment, and in fact, there are ruins just outside my window in Porta Maggiore. It's pretty incredible to be here really. I keep thinking of how I'm blessed to have the opportunity...
Last night I went to The Abbey, a beautiful Irish Pub in the old historic district, and watched American Football with the students here. (It was Washington/Dallas, unfortunately. The broadcast is out of England, and they only show one game. I got regular updates on the Chiefs though! Woohoo!) I originally swore off the English speakers, but they do a great deal in making me feel at peace with my surroundings. Racking my brain over Italian all day can be incredibly draining.
My landlady doesn't speak a lick of English - maybe I mentioned it before. It's great though, because it really does give me a challenge. She's very friendly, although not around often.
I started my CELTA training today. There are ten other students from England, Wales, Ireland, Croatia, and Italy. There a really great bunch. I'm lucky, I think. Everyone is really outgoing with great senses of humor, and they all have fascinating histories.
You've actually seen one of them already. He was one of the main Roman centurions in the Passion of the Christ. (He's also in the upcoming film The Nativity that will be released around Christmas.) He spent 50 days on the set with Mel Gibson and worked directly with the rest of the cast. Right now he's doing occasional TV spots while learning to teach English and searching for bigger acting roles.
But the program is very interesting, and I am really excited to teach. I will actually be teaching for the next three days - already! It's a great hands-on approach - very intense, but rewarding. I may be braindead at the end of the month, but I think it will be well worth it.
Jobs seem to be everywhere, and private tutoring pays very well. Most of my fears in that area have been mitigated. It seems like living here for the next few years will be no problem at all.
Well that's all for now. This is getting a bit long anyway. Ciao!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
hey Michael, your mom and dad just sent me your blog, nice readin. sounds like Italy is a great place - funny that your landlady doesn't speak English! I guess that's the best way to learn!
We watched the chiefs game yesterday, what a win! Angela (who lives here too) was sad about Dallas - that's where she's from.
Anyhow, happy traveling to yer!
M, thanks so much for meeting me . . . it was a balm to my soul. And sorry about all the backpack drama. Very heroic effort, I must say. Made it to Istanbul in good shape, glad your first day of class went well. "hk"
Post a Comment